Friday, February 26, 2010

Sylvester Stabone

Andrew Koenig committed suicide the other day. His body was found in a park in Vancouver. My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones at this very difficult time.

Not long ago, I had a very good friend that lost someone close due to suicide. Because I'm not sure how best to console someone that has suffered such a loss, our friendship suffered inexorably.

I knew the person that committed suicide pretty well, although I wouldn't say we were very close. I used to hang out with both of them occassionally. Although we weren't friends, I did feel saddened and dejected by the loss of a great human being.

It's been years since this tragedy has happened. I know my friend went through years of sadness over her loss. I know she'll never really be over it. I think of her and her loss often, still. However infrequently we talk these days, I am always wishing her peace and a lifetime of happiness. She is truly a vibrant individual, and she deserves so much more than this tragedy has dealt her.

I can only imagine that Walter Koenig and his wife, Judy, are going through similar emotions and feelings right now. My heart goes out to them during this time.

Andrew Koenig was best known for his role in Growing Pains as Mike Seaver's best friend, Boner. I remember two episodes with him best.

In the first episode, Boner, Mike, and a third friend (whose name I don't recall) went to a party in high school. The party involved a hot tub and cocaine. I remember Boner and the random red-shirt friend trying to talk Mike Seaver into using Coke in order to spend time with some girls. Mike eventually did the right thing; we all knew he would. At the end of that episode, Kirk Cameron gave a heart-felt "say-no-to-drugs" speech.

In the second episode, Boner joined the army to make his dad proud. His dad was played by the guy that played Carla Tortelli's husband on Cheers. I don't remember the actor's name. I think it was in this episode that we learned Boner's real name was Sylvester Stabone. For a twelve-year old watching the show, the nickname finally made sense. A few years later, the nickname meant a whole other thing entirely.

If anyone is reading this and feels the kind of desperation that Andrew Koenig or my friend felt, please seek help. There is always a way, and it's always better than the alternative. There are a ton of people in your life that would be more than willing to help and support you. Whether you realize it or not, there are a ton of people that will be affected by your decision for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment